Friday, May 1, 2020

Lesson 643: Opening Up

Hello, Readers.
You get a full shot of Eloise tonight
in honor of my Pennsylvania county
opening up next weekend.
But really,
how much of a move do we make 
opening into level yellow?

Image may contain: 1 person, closeup and indoor

The trees have no problem with it.


They own this spring yellowy-green
that doesn't look good on any people of any skin tone,
but pairs perfectly with a true blue, spring sky. 
 

It's funny to think in terms of opening up
when everyone is walking around with masks on.

Natalie is slowly getting used to hers.
We've been practicing with different types.
She doesn't like things touching her ears.


 Sam will use anything,
however,
we didn't tell him that these were actually 
a make-shift rush job,
engineered by Grandma
 from floppy bunny bloomers 
that she made in the 80's.


Ellen won't let me 
photograph her until her Altar'd State mask arrives.
Champagne taste on an Edinboro University budget.
Her last day of classes was today
and she completed her freshman year with straight A's.
Allow a proud momma 
a brag line.

I'm fine with the masks
because they minimize the sound.
It's getting loud out there,
isn't it?

If you don't hear it with yourown ears, or see it with yourown eyes, don't invent itwith your small mind andshare it with your bigmouth.

Teachers are trained listeners.
Believe me.
I've been listening to all sides 
of this multifaceted issue.
When you listen,
you learn.
I'm learning a whole lot
about people.

Knowledge speaks but wisdom listens #Listening #Quotes & #Spiritual #Inspirational #Affirmations

The observer in me has noticed
each side refers to the other as sheep,
thinking those who hold an opposing viewpoint
are easily led.
It reminds me of cliques of girls
each referring to the other Girl Gang
as The Mean Girls.
Nauseating arrogance 
peppers both sides of the field.

Tweets and Memes from the Quarantine - FAIL Blog - Funny Fails

I'm tired of it all, too.
Not just the governmental bickering,
but our way of living.
God made Eloise's long squishy arms
perfect for hugs and high fives.
Social distancing is hard for me.

I can't wait for things to resemble the life we once knew
(and still complained about).
How do we maneuver these uncharted waters?
Patience, I guess.

Patience is not an ability to wait, but the ability to keep a good attitude while wainting! | #1stInHealth #Motivation #Quotes #Inspiration #Success

It's so hard to tell someone 
just to be patient when they haven't received a paycheck,
or have not seen their aging parent in two months.

So,
to the fighters, keep fighting,
the doctors, do your doctoring,
the the workers keep on working,
and the passionate--
please follow your heart 
no matter what you believe is best.
It's what makes our nation so great.

For Old Eloise,
and many I find the words for,
we are asking you just keepeth your mouth
not open so wide.
A normal tone of voice
gains a lot more ground
than a shouting match.

Proverbs 13:3 (KJV)

I silence the noise many times a day.
Sometimes I just have to step away from 
school conducted from my kitchen
or the constant news reel feeding 
my television,
mailbox,
computer,
and phone. 

While I've been a member of this team,
I may as well get some home projects started.
Having a project going  
keeps me focused on something else for awhile.
It's an escape.


Outdoor projects are always my favorite.
My guys have been at it in the yard for weeks.
Sixteen dead ash  were laid to rest,
and we blessed our yard with four new trees--
a sugar maple,
a honey crisp apple tree,
and two pin oaks!


I spent the week inside
on my book collection.
I unearthed them again
and it looked like my living room barfed up books.



Sam and I hauled this heavy shelf
up a flight of stairs to its new home.
Check in next week to see which 
books actually made the cut
to remain with me in the Lamp Post.
The rest were given away
or will be taken to school. 


In the unearthing I found some of my newspaper collection.


I saved this because I thought at the time
that nothing could ever get worse than the squabbling
over the hanging chads on the Floridian ballots 
in the 2000 Presidential election.
Naive Eloise.


Newspaper from my wedding day.


I thought 2003 had some strange days.


9-11


And newspapers from the day my children were born.



Well,
except for Sam.
The third child 
sent my record keeping over the edge for awhile.
He doesn't have a newspaper
or baby book either.

Speaking of books,
I finished the 2004 Newberry Honor Book
that I was reading last week.
It would be excellent to use 
if you were teaching children about primary sources.
I thought I had more to go in the book,
but at 67% through the list of sources began,
and it was extremely impressive.


 Even in 1793 there was arguing about treatments.
Dr Benjamin Rush favored draining a yellow fever victim's blood
then following up the procedure
with a mercury chaser to rid the body of it's toxins.
Others preferred a gentler approach.
Both claimed success.



I thought this was interesting--
public assistance at its very beginning.



The Greats disagreed.
Hamilton,


versus Jefferson and Madison
on an issue.


They argued about when to reopen Philadelphia.
When would the fever cease?


Some returned to work too soon
and suffered for it.


 Yellow fever would not go away.



 Doctors don't like to be baffled.
They like to figure things out.


And figure it out,
they did!




After the author's end notes,
he listed other books on the topic 
for those interested in plagues.


Here's one on Typhoid Mary.
You can learn what it's like to be an asymptomatic carrier.


The author's little notes gave me a chuckle.
He loves reading about the bubonic plague?


 He also describes the Life History of Typhus Fever
lighthearted.


Hang in there, Readers.
Eloise

What we say, probably affects more people than any other action we take. So it's not surprising, to find, that Proverbs gives us so many scriptures on our words, and how we should use them. This is something that I desire - to have a controlled and caring tongue, instead of one that is careless and conniving. I want to speak life into others by calling out the gold, that God has placed inside of them. What about you? Proverbs 13:3


No comments: