Sunday, November 21, 2010

Lesson 22: You Too, Can Have a Picnik in the Winter

http://www.picnik.com/show/id/10807053163_fjNJk/t/picnik-show




 


I was waiting for the first snowfall to put this one up.  There were some flurries as I was in the flurry of Black Friday shoppers early Friday morning, so close enough.  Plus we are supposed to get more snow tomorrow. 

Since I am writing about snow, I just want to mention don't be looking for my Christmas card to arrive in your mailboxes before St. Nicholas fills your wooden clogs on December 6th.  Snowfall is a key player for the card that I have planned in my head, and it isn't even made yet.  Be patient.  Masterpieces take time.   With three children, one being autistic and another being a beast, you never quite know what you'll get.  I'll surely need extra time this year.  At least Ellen has proven pretty handy with a camera herself, so there is hope that she will come through for me, too. 

Click on the link to picnik.com, posted above the snapshots on this blog.    It will take you to a slide show of my winter photos from the last three years.  It just takes a couple of minutes.  Just click the back arrow in the upper left hand corner of the screen when you are done and it should take you back to the blog.  I recommend reading the blog all the way through, then going to view the slide show in case you kick yourself off the website.  That is annoying and I did it myself.  It is not a good time of year and think hateful thoughts and be cranky, you know. 

Picnik is the photo editing website that I use to doctor up my digital pictures from time to time.  I've tried several different ones, but picnik is my favorite.  It is the easiest to navigate, even for novices.  Most of the applications are free, but I paid the $24 yearly fee to have access to the stuff they tease you with, like the great holiday borders that I'll probably never use. 

The snapshots above were all doctored up on picnik.  I also have this great full body shot of myself where I've carved and shaved enough off of my frame that I am a dead ringer for Jennifer Aniston.  I just felt funny putting it on here, not sure who would be reading this.  Did you hear that?  I just heard all the women lamppost fans simultaneously click off my blog to go sign up for picnik, but I was just kidding.  Just making sure you were paying attention.  It's a teacher trick.  Sorry. 

Truth is I rarely am in a picture.  You may think I am camera shy, but I am really not.  I have the best camera in the family and I don't like anyone touching it.  Selfish Sally, I know, but you got to guard the things you love in my house.  The larger reason is that no one has the ability to take a good picture in my family besides me.  Well, there is my cousin Sean Heasley, but we east-enders don't venture out to the Frontier Area much for him to take my picture, so that doesn't count.  If you don't believe me, take a look at what my sister posts on facebook.  National Geographic hasn't been hounding her to apply for any recent job openings.  Plus she could never write captions either as she is prone to typos.  She blames her "focky nails" but I know otherwise. 

The other day, I looked through the three years worth of shots on her digital camera that she's never done a thing with.  I found exactly one of me.  Of course it was the one picture I told her not to take, but she caught me off guard because I was talking on the phone.  I was in the last days of my pregnancy with Sam and you couldn't tell if it was me or her GE Side by Side refrigerator standing there.  I'm not kidding--I was wearing a tan sweater and just about the same size.  If you study the photo closely you can see my eyes all squinty and mean-like.  Sam must have been working his magic on me from the womb.

If you do give picnik a try and need a real world tutorial, don't hesitate to give me a call.  It's not as hard as it looks.  The link will take you to a slide show that has a winter scene, complete with falling snow.  All of the pictures are my wintry ones that I am certain are from the last three years.  It's easy to count the years because Sam is in them.  As I have written before, all time lines for me are divided into three periods:  BC, AD, and AS--after Sam. 

The only bummer was that I couldn't figure out to download music with it.  I am sure it is some violation of copyright that exists, therefore it is not allowed.  I am not in school and protected by my favorite broad term that keeps me out of copyright jail--"fair use for educational purposes."  Humor me and hum your favorite Christmas tune while the pictures roll through.  Just as long as it is not Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer, I'll be happy.  Grandma makes Christmas really fun around here and we need her!

Enjoy the start to your holiday season.
Love, Eloise

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Eloise,
Some how I missed this post. What a beautiful picture album! I assume Sam is no longer afraid of Santa! It's amazing how as the girls get older they look more alike, two cuties!