Friday, November 7, 2014

Lesson 330: Newvember


Welcome to November, Readers!


November is the  month where we think of nature closing up shop for the year--
the calendar page of the last hurrahs before winter dormancy.

Days in November in Erie are as different as night,


and day.


Albeit cool, some days are splendid.
Sweaters,
and boot socks,
and fingerless gloves holding warm drinks.


Then the winds come and nature loses its color along with its hours of daylight.


We return to our houses and make preparations for the winter ahead.

Instead of thinking of things old and dying,
I renamed November NEWvember this week.

There are so many new things Eloise is enjoying.
Here are a few:

Sam signed up for a NEW activity:  Cub Scouts.
My rough and tumble son is learning the laws of the Scout Code.
Honor.
Integrity.
Loyalty.
Brotherhood.


The first Pack Meeting was a hit.
They got to bowl with pumpkins


and some pigs showed up for petting.



BOOM!
My boy was SOLD!

Sam's NEWvember thing is kicking.
He's moved beyond tackling and has been inspired by Penn State's kicker Sam Ficken.


Known as Fricken Ficken to fans last year
for four missed field goals in one game--
Sam Ficken become a clutch teammate this year.
Too bad the rest of the team couldn't come through.
Four losses in a row--but we can't blame Sam this year.
Our Nittany Lions just ain't jellin'.


My Sam is ready to take his place.


His Daddy has not only been teaching him about kicking techniques,


but also guiding him on mental toughness and focus needed to be a clutch player.



Ellen got a new shirt for NEWvember.


Way to go Sue and your amazing fight against ovarian cancer!
We are proud to have your shirt here in the Lamp Post.

When Ellen's not sporting the shirt for ovarian cancer awareness,
she is desperately searching her body for rashes and plantar warts.
Ellen has first period pool class this quarter
and is seeking a way out of it.
She even asked me to run over her pinky finger with the four wheeler last weekend.
A person can't swim with a broken finger, right?

Natalie found a NEW pass time.


My girl loves to peel fruit and vegetables.
Natalie can work a peeler like no other.

I say this with all seriousness:
If you want homemade applesauce or real mashed potatoes this holiday,
drop off your goods at the Lamp Post and head to the grocery store to get the rest of your Thanksgiving dinner staples.
Natalie will have your apples and potatoes peeled for you when you return to pick them up.

Natalie's Miss Shining Star Pageant is next week.


Miss Shining Star is a beauty pageant Harbor Creek High School organizes for 
girls with special needs.

This year the pageant is on Friday, November 14th, 6:30 pm
in the Harbor Creek High School auditorium.
A $5 ticket buys you entry
and a night of the most heartwarming performances you'll ever see.
See Eloise for details.

My ultra talented photographer friend Clicky, aka Matt Kleck in the Real World
posted the link below on my facebook timeline tonight.

It is a good reminder of how God always provides a strength for a deficit.
Here is Stephen Wiltshire, a young man with autism,  at work:

Stephen Wiltshire drawing New York

Here is the link to his website and a little more information about this man,
who has an amazing ability.

Stephen was born in London to West Indian parents on 24th April, 1974. As a child he was mute, and did not relate to other people. Aged three, he was diagnosed as autistic. He had no language and lived entirely in his own world.
In October 2009, Wiltshire took a 20-minute helicopter ride over New York City, then (as reported in the Daily Mail) created an 18-foot panoramic drawing of the city's skyline from memory:
[An] astonishing 18ft drawing of the world's most famous skyline was created by autistic artist Stephen Wiltshire after he spent just 20 minutes in a helicopter gazing at the panorama.
The unbelievably intricate picture was drawn at Brooklyn's prestigious Pratt Institute from Stephen's memory, with details of every building sketched in to scale.
Landmarks including the Empire State Building and the Chrysler Building can be seen towering above smaller buildings after just three days in his spellbinding creation.
Listening intently to his iPod throughout the artistic process — because music helps him — London-born Stephen uses only graphic pens as he commits his photographic memory to the high-grade paper.

I just purchased Stephen Wiltshire's 2015 calendar.
I can't wait to hang it in the Lamp Post.

Speaking of calendars,
the NEW Erie Bank Calendar came in the mail.


Try as I might, I still didn't get a month page this year.
Honorable mention again.
My photos are featured on the back page.


The best thing about having two identities is that I enter contests twice.
Elaine made got a mention for the bowling,


and Eloise was honored for her shot of the pavilion ceiling at Waldameer.



I am determined to find the shot to make a page next year, darn it all!

While I'm waiting for that perfect moment when the universe and my lens align,
I'll keep working on my new book.

It is a cookbook-slash-family history collection titled:
Cookwizardry of a Peculiar People.

I've got a killer cover for it, but I'm keeping it a secret until it's release date--
(yes--it will be a free read, online).

I'm plugging away at it.
I've learned chronicling family history and copying recipes is time consuming.

I thought I was doing fine until my mother showed me this book this week:


It is the family history of James Casey--the man who built my parents house in the 1800's.

The thing is this thick!!


My parents gave the author a tour of my childhood home,
which is one lot east of the Lamp Post.
The author sent my parents a copy of the book.


My parents even got a couple of footnotes in the book!


The story of the cup found hidden in the wall of my parents' home is true,
and will be chronicled in Cookwizardy.
Eloise was kind of hoping it was the Holy Grail.
If it was, my parents threw it out.
Bummer.


For the Erieites that are familiar with the area surrounding the Lamp Post,
this horse is standing in the Six Mile Cellars parking lot.
the Lamp Post now sits to the left of the photo, right behind the horses @$$.



This barn stood where my dad's pole barn now sits.
My childhood friends probably remember our haunted walks through the foundation.
I was a storyteller back then, too.


Sam has taken quite an interest in the history of my homestead.
He'll never forget the time he's spent with Grandma talking history.


I am going to send him 67 steps east the next time he wakes at night,
now afraid of the ghost of James Casey.
Sam can cuddle with his grandparents for security.

If you want to try something new for NEWvember,
come and try a Team Adrenaline workout.


Each workout is always new and fresh.



We lost the daylight this week for our outdoor workouts,
but Doc brought us glowsticks!


If you want to try a workout, contact Eloise.
The first one is always free.
Dr. Krauza is also giving away two more Barber Beast on the Bay registrations
for new attendees.  It is to your benefit to come out and try one on the next two Tuesdays--
November 11th
and 
November 18th.


I'm staying away from sugar because I am part of the 58 Day Wellness Challenge.
I did allow myself one indulgence on Halloween.
I had one of these:


Minis?
Seriously.
I thought of a NEW name.
I'm calling these Reese's Crumbs.


My Mother's Day gift 2010 fake Princess Kate replica ring
is nearly the same size as a Reese's nugget.
Good grief.
Americans are the fattest people on the planet
consuming (lots of) the smallest of things.

I'm not a fan of insurances. 
Most of us live in fear and are insurance poor
(including me).

But, I really loved this Allstate commercial I saw this week.
Check it out.  
It's a great message beyond the need for insurance.

Allstate Commercial--Don't miss this, CLICK HERE

Don't miss the photo story this week, as well.  It is set to the song Scarecrow by Alex & Sierra--the debut single from the X-Factor winners I loved.  Thank you to Carley's mom for allowing me to use her photo for the cover shot.  She had one of the cutest costumes this Halloween.  A $5.88 flannel shirt and some raffia ribbon is all it took to make one cute scarecrow.

Live in truth, My Friends.



Enjoy the photos and the song,
ELOISE

No comments: