Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Lesson 103: My Indian Outlaw


Thanksgiving is just two days away.  I've been watching people's posts on facebook stating what they are thankful for each day in November.  They've made for enjoyable reading and have been very thought provoking for me.  What is it this holiday that Eloise finds herself thankful for?  The usuals are on there:  my family, my friends, and my freedoms are always the list toppers.  Something unique to this year though, is the progress and healing of my son Sam.  Sam--my surprise child, the spunkiest of my bunch, my wild Indian.

Sam has made enormous strides in the last two months.  He is sleeping better, has gained four pounds, and his mischievous smile is back.  For this, I give enormous thanks to my God.  Amen.  You'll see him on the video during some of his finer (and dirtier) moments.  He absolutely loves football.  Sam will play pick up ball with any kids he sees.  We attended our last high school game of the season last weekend, and Sam found a group of kids tossing the football.  "Hey, can I play?" he yelled to them.  They ignored him.  "Hey!  You kid!  Can I play, too?" he shouted a little louder.  Ellen turned to me and said with an eyebrow raised, "This could get interesting."  And that it did.  The kids who were sixth graders gave him a momentary glimpse of attention and went about their play.  Sam is no glory boy.  He's a workhorse.  Sam is destined to be a lineman.  He has no interest in catching the football whatsoever.  He only wants to tackle people.  Sam chased those kids around that open field for nearly a half an hour.  A time or two a nice kid handed Sam the ball and let him run around with it, but he wasn't interested in that.  He wanted to chase someone down.  You will see a few shots of him trying to take down a sixth grader.  Sam grabbed the kid around the waist and wouldn't let go.  The kid (who had a very good humor about him) said, "Holy crap!  This kid is strong!"  You will see a snapshot of Sam flexing after he finally brought the kid to his knees.

The picture movie is set to my LEAST FAVORITE Tim McGraw song, however.  Truly, Indian Outlaw never did it for me.  It's an oldie and I had to look up the video on youtube because I couldn't remember it. Now I know why.  I must have mentally blocked it out.   When I found the video on youtube, I almost fell off of the kitchen stool I was sitting on.  Was this REALLY Tim McGraw in 1994?
  Good Lord!  My perfect specimen had this stringy hair and this cheesy mustache?  No wonder I passed him up and let Faith have him.  Some men do get better with age though, and Tim is one of them.  Look at him now at the premier of his recent movie Country Strong.  Much, much better.  Tim even looks good without his black hat.

There is one Indian that I do have to give five minutes to on this blog.  It's this one:
Squanto.  Now Sis, just to make this clear--this really isn't a photograph of Squanto. They didn't have cameras in 1620.  This guy is an actor.  Just didn't want you to say something silly over the gourmet Thanksgiving feast you are preparing for all of us.  Got your back, while you are breaking yours making pies for me.  How is that pecan one coming?  

If it wasn't for Squanto, I doubt we'd be eating Thanksgiving dinner.  Yes, I know that Massasoit and Samoset helped, too, but Squanto did the most in my opinion.  And oh the back story that man has!  The elementary history books always give mention to the fact that he was the last remaining member of his Patuxet tribe and helped the pilgrims plant corn and stuff (as paraphrased to me by a third grader).  But it is Squanto's full circle story, from his boyhood voyage to England on an English trading vessel to his return trip home with Captain John Smith then being captured within a days walk from home by Captain Thomas Hunt.   Squanto and many others of his tribe were sold by Captain Hunt as a slaves in Spain.  If it weren't for Brother Diego and Brother Luis taking pity upon Squanto as he threw himself at their feet begging for mercy, you may not be passing the cranberry sauce on Thursday.  The story is so amazing I suggest you research it for yourself.  If you are one of my students, prepare to learn about this in much greater detail next fall.  I got the rest of this year planned out already and it is on to the Vikings after break, but we'll catch Squanto again.  I promise.

This Thanksgiving I will be thankful for my two favorite Indians, Sam and Squanto, among many, many other things.  Bless us, O Lord for these thy gifts................

Eloise

No comments: