Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Lesson 277: The Week Before Christmas


'Twas the week before Christmas, when all through my house,
Things went awry, so Eloise got soused.

















Instead of hanging the stockings by the chimney with care,
She lounged with some moonshine in her big, brown, round chair.


The children were nestled all snug in MY bed,
I was booted to the couch, in my pajamas of red.


Hubby's back strain gave him a nine day long nap,
Leaving all the Christmas prep to me in my PSU cap.


How could I do it?  Would my Christmas dreams shatter?
Shopping and wrapping and baking and all of that matter.

Motivation I needed, so I flew like a flash,
Tossed on my sneakers for a midnight moon dash.


The moon on the breast of the new fallen snow,
Enchanted my spirit, and extinguished my woe.


When what to my scattered old brain did appear?
But the memories of kindness from those I hold dear.






















The love that you showed us sure did the trick,
Healing broken-backed hubby and Sam who was sick.


More rapid than eagles the kindnesses they came,
I will thank you and love you and call you by name.

Thanks Bill and Kelly for the Kentucky Fried Chicken!
And CJ and Jen and the ham in my kitchen.


To Patty for cookies, and the Meyers and Carol for dinner,
Susan for towels and a frying pan, this one's a winner!


Grandma ran errands and Kenyan helped shop,
Grandpa changed light bulbs from bottom to top.


The girls pitched in and cleaned, cooked, and baked,
Natalie and Ellen, oh the beds they did make.


Your texts, messages, and calls were all that we needed,
Telling us to relax, the advice-- it was heeded.

But the best gift of all came from a chiropractic table,
And a man who could heal and was willing and able.


The doctor was fit as a fiddle, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him in spite of myself.


A bike on wet pavement?  Vibrams in snow?
Nothing would stop him on his mission, oh no!

He'd speak some kind words, then go straight to his work,
On hubby's spine he'd press, and turn his head with a jerk.


Thank you Dr. Krauza for your visits every day,
Hubby is back on his feet and well on his way,

The cards they got sent, albeit a bit late,
The gifts are all wrapped, awaiting their fate.


Like the Whos down in Whoville, my Christmas it came,
In spite of the headaches and crippling back pain.


I finished my jaunt with a much clearer head,
A heart filled with love, I had nothing to dread.

Friendship and love make a person much well-er,
As does living across from 6 Mile Cellars.

















Eloise exclaimed as the barn came into sight,
Bart, open your doors!  You'll be closed tomorrow night!






















Cheers!  Merry Christmas!
Eloise








No comments: