Friday, January 10, 2020

Lesson 627: Winter Nights


Good evening, Readers.
It's a Winter Night.
I turned on the reading light for you.


It's been a wild weather week.
Cold and snow,


followed quickly by warmth and winds.



The winters are cold and dark,
and the Lamp Post keeper loves light.

I kept the barn Christmas lights up
because they look so pretty in the snow.
This is the scene out Sam's bedroom window.


I changed the lights on my parents' backyard tree 
to a wintry, twinkly white.


I always hope the wildlife appreciates my efforts.

When I was a little girl I believed
that animals spent the winter nights this way.

I dug many a hole in my backyard
trying to prove my theory.


Speaking of reading,
this is my new Book Club selection 
I just picked up from the Erie County Library's
Book Club in a Bag.
It's a thriller.
I'd love it if you read along with me.

The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware

So what else do I do
while I'm pining away for all of the fun
the summer months bring?  

While the Waldameer rides stop their spins


and the coaster lies in dormant silence,


I entertain myself inside with kid sports.


Nothing gets the blood pumping 
like a fast paced basketball game,


even if you the only movement you are doing
is lying in wait for an interesting shot.




Slithering around the floor
doesn't create too much of a calorie burn though,
so I supplement my activity with fitness classes in the evenings.

I like the swim classes at the YMCA pool.
It's downright painful to go out in the cold
a couple of nights a week,
but it's worth it afterwards because you feel so good.

Fresh air is important for Erieites.
I like to catch the Saturday morning Team Adrenaline workouts
for a good source of fresh air and daylight.


I also have been teaching myself 
all kinds of new crochet stitches.

Here is my finished weather blanket,
which turned out more like a scarf for a sasquatch
than a blanket.


So, when things don't turn out quite as you 
had planned them to,
adapt!

Rather than make a monster scarf,
I'll turn it into a monster blanket--
a three year project.


When I finish on December 31, 2021,
the piece should be big enough to cover my queen sized bed.
I'll make three stitched together chunks,
representing the Erie weather in years
2019, 2020, and 2021.


I'm adding a row on each day,
next to the one from the year prior.
What a fun way this will be to track the weather.
You can see this year is already a little warmer than it was 
last season.

The variegated blue/green yarn represents temperatures in the 40's.
The light blue is the 30's.  


I discovered Nonogram puzzles.

Image result for nonogram puzzle

I highly recommend the ones found in the App Store
that you can play on your phone.
They are free and fun.
I figured them out for myself,
so I'm sure you can, too.

I like the easy ones because they are quick.
Questies, I'll be showing you in a week or so.
You can show your parents--
be patient with them,
adults don't catch on to things 
as quickly as kids do.

They look something like this,
similar to a logic grid.


This 10x10 nonogram puzzle is modestly challenging and may be most suitable for beginners. Free to download and print

The goal is to color some spaces
and leave others blank, or filled with X's.
Visually they will create pictures.
The puzzles on your phones and devices
are actually much better than ones you can do on paper.

For a fast tutorial,
check out this short How To:
CLICK THE ARROW BELOW


I've become obsessed with Baby Yoda.


and I've watched this Evolution of Dance
video no less than 20 times!


I love the words from the acceptance speech 
Ellen Degeneres made after
receiving the Carol Burnett Award
at the Golden Globes.


I'll send the blog on this winter night
with the kindest words you can say,
two donkeys,
and a fat, red bird.


I love you!
Eloise


No comments: