Friday, July 31, 2020

Lesson 656: Concentric Circles


Hello Readers!
Eloise has her eye on you!


Look closely....

I was on the front porch of our new cabin
when I took this photo,
and that is my husband in the yard
beyond the front porch spindles.

I took this photo to see if I could spot my eye injury.
I scratched my cornea
and I spent a few days tending a 
drippy,
infected,
and throbbing eyeball.
 
The doctors assured me that eyes heal quickly,
and they were right!
Upon injury I could only read the E 
on the top of the eye chart,
and two days later I could see again.

Dr. Fauci called and advised me to wear goggles.

Just kidding....

Geez.

Everyone is so sensitive.

Dr. Fauci Reports That Alcohol May Help People Survive Coronavirus Briefings

I love the concentric circles of the eye.
Dark blue,
wrapped around light blue,
wrapped around brown,
wrapped around the common origin point.


This cross section of wood was looking back at me today.




My students learn about Kandinsky and his concentric circles
in elementary art class.
My district is figuring out our student circles 
this week.
Huskies will rise to the occasion as we always do.
We'll be back at it soon, students.
Hang in there.


I've been thinking about circles all week.
It's funny how our first instinct was to paint the cabin green,
but we talked ourselves out of it.
    19 different color samples later,
we wound up right back where we started.

Greenbriar was definitely the right choice.


We're waiting on a couch
and have to finish the fireplace so 
it can be warm and cozy for the fall.


We'll be cozy in the sleeping loft
when wrapped in our Kate Rose Quilts!


My former student struck again
with the Huskie Handiwork!
This time the guys got a quilt!

No photo description available.

After my vision cleared up,
all I saw was circles!

From the irresistible packaging of
the French Pudding
in little glass jars,



to inner tubes,


to baseballs,


to the round,
bulging centers of flowers.



Even these two noisy birds
think circles are perfectly nest-like.



We took a break from painting to visit
The Farmer's Inn.



Hazel met my sheep friends.
She mistook them for her litter-mates.


The gentle cow 
kind of looks like Hazel, too.


Weekend homework:

https://gretchenrubin.com/podcasts/

A really great listen this week was 
from Gretchen Rubin's podcast
Happier.

Podcast: Happier With Gretchen Rubin. – The Bitter Lemon

 A Little Happier--which is a short segment
between her episodes 
was about Eugene O'Kelly's final memoir 
about the ending of his life.
In his book, Chasing Daylight,
he wrote about relationships 
as he received a terminal diagnosis of brain cancer.

Chasing Daylight: How My Forthcoming Death Transformed My Life: Eugene  O'Kelly, Corinne O'Kelly: 9780071499934: Amazon.com: Books

With only a few months to live,
O'Kelly decided to map out relationships in his lifetime
and wanted to spend time with people 
that mattered in his life.
He drew a map of concentric circles,
with the outermost circle comprising of people
he knew and really liked in life, 
but eventually lost touch with.
The circles worked inward to a common center,
moving from nice acquainteaces,
friendly neighbors,
former classmates,
co-workers,
close business partners,
life-long friends,
immediate family,
children,
and closest to him,
the eye of the bull's eye,
his wife.

I don't want to spoil your listen,
so I won't tell you his conclusion,
but I can give you this hint:
don't spend too much of your life worrying
or feeling guilty about those in the outer parts of your circle.
Our days are all numbered,
spend them with those who matter most.

Savor the beautiful weekend.
Eloise






No comments: