Friday, January 8, 2021

Lesson 679: January 6th


Hello, Readers.


 It's the second weekend of the new year 
and hopes for a positive start to 2021 have been dashed
buy a the Capitol building terrorized by rioters.

The afternoon of January 6th 
interrupted an ordinarily bleak day in Erie, PA.


A non descript weather day
that left the pups wanting to watch the cold drizzle
from the couch rather than go romp in it.


It was a strange day for sure.
The dogs woke me up at 4:30 am  and I decided to stay up
 and read 35 assigned pages 
of a book I needed to complete for a virtual book club that evening.

The book is Caste, by Isabel Wilkerson.


I'm known in my bubbles for being the town crier,
and rightly so.
This book is a must read for any American.
Go get it without hesitation.

Later that afternoon hate overtook Washington DC,
and I returned home to this ominous sky.


The sun shone brightly as it prepared to set in the west


onto a blackened storm sky in the east,
igniting nature aflame.


I don't recall what I ate for dinner on Wednesday night,
if anything at all.
We watched the news as a family 
and tried our best to talk things through.

7:00 pm I logged into the book club zoom meeting with
22 other participants.
The discussion leader was a well spoken and articulate high school teacher,
a nice looking younger man ,clearly excited to discuss Wilkerson's work 
about racial disparities.
I didn't really think about this gentleman being African American
until the group was hacked by an outside person
who kept shouting Nigger.

I was at a loss.
A loss for words.
A loss for breath.
A loss for a hope in humanity.

But the unflappable way this teacher was able to carry on
was the most heroic thing I've witnessed recently.
Me and the 22,
a mixed screen of squares
representing different ages
and different races,
all living in different parts of the country.
All sharing a our similar feelings of disbelief.

On January 6th,
I'm not sure why Penny woke me up to pee at 4:30am
 and I read Caste,
 Or why I told anyone who crossed my path to buy the book.
Or why those fools were able to get into the Capitol.
Or why the hacked club meeting closed the day.

What I do know 
is that I gained new perspectives from all of it.
It is a day that changed me forever.

Grandma must have known I was down,
and I needed some beets to cheer me up.



She even makes picked eggs
and a whole separate container of just beets for me.


I liked them way before Dwight Schrute made them a thing.


The rest of the week I hopped between Caste
and this book.
An invisible life sort of sounds good right now.


I just finished this book.
It was really, really good.


I gave up reading these just started watching the series on Netflix.
It is rare that I'd report this,
but the made for tv version is way better
than the books.
So are writing assignments of most sixth graders.


Ellen showed me how to make a collage for my laptop screen.
That made me happy.













I had planned to write about goals 
and reveal my choice for my Word of the Year.
It didn't feel right.
Maybe because I don't feel right.
And surely because the world isn't right.

We'll save goal talk for next week.


For now,
I'll end here, 
with these sweet images.
Can't we all use a few more sweet images?
Eloise



















No comments: