Thursday, May 26, 2011

Lesson 56: I Love You This Big


Eloise loves to summarize things.   I sure do like a good summary.  I know, I'm a nerd.  Most teachers are.  Consider summarization though.  It is an artfully honed skill to be able to condense a great big bite of life into a small digestible chunk.  The video posted above gives you a nice taste of how I've spent some of my life since January; watching the show and melting my iTunes cards.  The musical acts in the finale were superb.  It was great to see my old favorite TLC again.  Also, I didn't know Jack Black could sing that well.  And if you know where Lady Gaga got her hat, let me know because I want one.

This year the variety of musical styles appealed to many.  It even made my ten year old a rockin' hard Heavy Metal fan because of James Durbin.  We now have Ozzy, AC/DC, and Metallica in the kitchen CD player.  I guess we needed to mix it up at bit at our house.  Never a dull moment when your four year old requests Crazy Train---as in Ozzy Osbourne, not Thomas the Tank Engine.  My girls and I will look forward to following all of these finalists when they arrive in the Steel City on August 10th on their tour. 

A big hug from Eloise to the top three---Scotty, Lauren, and Haley.  Three teens who beat out all the rest of the competition to snag the top three spots.  In the words of Casey Abrams, another contestant commenting on their youth, "they still have Similac on their breath."  Impressive.  All have the potential to be in the music business for awhile, and even if you didn't watch the show, my followers can at least claim you saw them at the start of their careers here on this blog.

I was touched by how graciously Scotty McCreery accepted the title.  He kissed his competitor, and made his way down to individually hug each family member who was there to support him.  When asked if he had any thoughts on the win, he immediately gave thanks to the Lord first.  How admirable for a young man.  It speaks volumes for him not as a singer, but as a person.

I love everything about the show, except the name of it.  Americans should appreciate a good Cinderella story where common folk get a chance to make their dreams a reality.  I know I love a good one since I've always wanted to be Cinderella.  Idolize, though----I'm not so sure that is the best term.  Admire maybe, or respect, and maybe even envy, but I don't care for the Idol part.  I think I got a better name for the show.  If I got to suggest a name for this contest, I would call it Noteworthy.  Noteworthy--that is just what the contestants are---singers with a story behind them, who rise above the ranks.  They are truly Noteworthy in all angles of the interpretation.

Scotty McCreery's new song that will be released as the winner of Idol 2011 is titled I Love You This Big.  It is a great country tune sure to melt the hearts of fans all around the the world.  Listen for it.  I hope you can pick up a radio signal over there in Slovenia.  You don't want to miss it.   I am sure Scotty will be singing it to my daughters in August.  I am sure his voice is powerful enough to reach our seats in the nosebleed section where we usually sit. 

We Love You This Big, season 2011 contestants.  You've brought music into our homes and into our hearts.  You are truly Noteworthy.  Here are a couple of future Noteworthy contestants practicing for their big breaks in 2017 and 2023.  You have to be sixteen to try out for the show.


Eloise

No comments: