Monday, May 30, 2011

Lesson 58: I Cross My Heart

With all the hype of the world coming to an end, I am sure you barely had time to check this blog as you've probably been spending your extra time in church, repenting and such.  Now that the date has come and gone, it has undoubtedly left some of you wondering if it was yet another Biblical false alarm or if you were one of the ones left behind. 

Unbeknownst to me, I must have been one of the chosen ones.  I didn't discover it until the Memorial Day picnic when a friend pointed it out to me.   I have the mark of the cross on me.  I can't believe it!  I never get picked for anything!  Eloise gets the big prize.  I'll put in a good word for all of you. 

Even though I try to keep my identity a secret and enjoy writing under my pen name, some super sleuths could probably search through the depths of this blog to have a guess as to what I look like.  One photo is from me in my hair monster years in the early 90's. Another is a photo of me with a friend, so you have Eloise narrowed down to two.  But you would be able to spot me in a crowd because I am the one with the cross around my neck.  I always wear one, cross my heart.  It is my preferred jewelry of choice. 

I like jewelry and usually never take it off, except for some pokey earrings when I sleep.  I've had one ring on my finger since my 16th birthday.  But as the years have gone on, I have narrowed my selections down to gold bands on my fingers (I'm way too hard on stone rings), and crosses around my neck.  I have a pretty nice collection going.  I like to pick them up from places I visit.  The crosses I get for gifts are my favorites.  They always look pretty no matter what you wear and they send a simple message to anyone you meet.  By simply wearing a cross you make the statement that you are a follower of Jesus, without having to utter a single word.  How beautiful.

My jewelry box is filling with crosses and I don't think I'll ever have too many.  I have a great big, stand up jewelry box now, with lots of drawers and hooks.  It is a far cry from my first one from years ago.  I still remember the lovely, carved wooden box I got from my dad for Christmas.  It had a hinged lid with a mirror on the inside.  The jewelry tray lifted out to reveal a hidden space underneath.  In fact, the velvet lined tray got so old that the glue let go and I could hide things underneath it; little mementos, keys, and cash.  The mirror eventually cracked and my college roommates got me a new one for my birthday.  My husband eventually replaced that one.  I still miss the original one though.  Sometimes the "firsts" are the best and they are hard to replace, no matter how hard you try.  Nothing compares to the original.

I put Scotty McCreery's rendition of the George Strait song, I Cross My Heart on here for two reasons.  The obvious one is that the song title goes perfectly with my blog post.  The second reason is that the words sung by our new American Idol remind me of my children.  The song is about unconditional love, which is a mother's love for a child--true and pure and conditional upon nothing.  If you haven't checked out the previous blog post, Lesson 57:  The Spice of My Life, please do.  Then you will see visually a mother's love for her children.  Just like the song says, "I cross my heart and promise to, give all I've got to give to make your dreams come true."

Scroll down to the bottom of this post after you listen to Scotty sing the song.  You will find a humorous weather report regarding our impending doom.  I'm not worried, nor shall my children be.  Once you are saved, then your faith is enough for everyone in your household.  We're good no matter what happens, kids.  I cross my heart and promise you that!

Stay out of trouble though, just in case,
Eloise

No comments: