Friday, February 15, 2013

Lesson 215: Forever Mine


Happy weekend, Readers!
 I hope your heart is still warm from Valentine's Day, because it is still cold at the Lamp Post.


Last weekend brought some snow, but most of it melted away.  I'd like to pretend that we're done with it for the season, but I know better.  I've lived in Erie my whole life.  More will come.


Winter is winding down in other ways.  Sam wrestled for the last time on Saturday.


It was a novice tournament hosted by a neighboring high school.  


If you recall, Sam was on the rebound from an intestinal bug.  You can see by his age/weight on his arm that he lost 3 pounds.  In a full week's time, my boy had only goldfish crackers and Gatorade.  


Sam's lack of nourishment didn't hurt his pre-match attitude.


Coach Mark is always amused by Sam's pre-match rituals.


Here's the mat.


And here's my boy kissing it.  He spent the morning on the bottom.
He didn't have the strength to get out of any hold.


Sam lost both of his matches.


Coach Mark told him it was okay.  Sometimes you lose.


That didn't sit too well with Sam. He has the heart of a lion.


He had to settle for a third place trophy to end the season.  


In the end, it was a good lesson to learn.  You win some, you lose some is the most basic teaching of all sports.  Learning how to lose gracefully is almost more important than learning how to win.  Sam will be back for more next season for the Grudge Match.  

We went to a family party later that afternoon and soon the sting of the losses were forgotten.  
Sam showed his cousin Eli his trophies, 


via Skype.  
The computer was set up at the party so we could each take a turn saying hi to our relatives in Germany.


Another member joined the family on Valentine's Day.


We'll be seeing Owen via skype, too.   Amazing.


What's even more amazing is we worked out in 30 degree temperatures last weekend,


And it felt warm!  Just like losing once in awhile makes you tougher, 
so do cold weather, outdoor workouts.  See Sam, Mom survived, too.


Thursday was full of love and surprises.


Even Rey Mysterio paid us a visit.


The biggest surprise came from this special Valentine card.


It was for NATALIE from her classmate Kaleb.  They even sent us a video of the two sharing an unprompted embrace.  Normally this would send shivers up the spine of any Daddy of a high schooler, but for us, we welcomed the normal.  Thank you for allowing us to share in the moment, A-Team.  


I got surprised with some Blue-Eyed Husky ice wine from Burch Farms,


and my favorite guilty pleasure, chocolate covered strawberries.


It didn't take long,


for them to be going........going.........


GONE!


Eloise doesn't indulge too often, but Valentine's Day was worth the caloric splurge.  Mom's advice is starting to make sense.  She is right--too skinny isn't pretty.  According to her everyone looks a little healthier with some "weight on their face." When you are too thin, you look old and wrinkly, so she claims. I do believe she's right.   I just wish that the weight from six strawberries only went to my face.  Hence, I have TWO work outs planned for today.

If I'm working out twice from half a dozen chocolate covered strawberries, what must the kids do?
This is the collected loot from their school parties.


My girls are getting older and my lifestyle modeling is starting to sink in.
Ellen said, "Mom, what is this stuff?  Green toxin?"  (That's Muh-Girl!).


"Just about," replied Mother Eloise.


Even Natalie looked disgusted and gave her sister no sympathy after she was complaining of a headache thirty minutes later.


Sam, on the other hand, does not heed his Momma's advice (ever).  We keep our boy on the cleanest diet  a 73 pound, five year old, highly picky eater will allow. Sam eats only a handful of things, but broccoli is one of    them (whew).  

The one thing we try to watch with Sam is the dye (particularly red dye).  Scroll back up and look at my kitchen table--it was chock full of it.  We've found it really changes Sam's behavior.   


He becomes a little demon.  


Homework assignment:  If you are a parent, really pay attention to your child's behavior after too much junk.    Don't do it for me.  Do it for your child. 

There's still time to read The Noticer.  I will be commenting about my thoughts on the book next week.  With some weddings coming this spring, you'll be wanting to know about what advice Jones gives about choosing who to marry.  It is quite interesting.  Intrigued?  I hope so.  Read it for yourself and find out.


If you think Andy Andrews touches your heart with The Noticer, check out the video below.  It is a great love song from one of my favorite bands Third Day.  My friend Becky just informed me that they are coming to Erie in February.  That's a strong maybe from Eloise.  

This is the song I had in mind to use for my Valentine's Day song, but then I found The Book of Love by Peter Gabriel.  In case you were too busy smooching with your Valentine and missed it, scroll down for that video, too.

This song is called Forever Yours.  And that is exactly what Eloise is for you, My Readers.  I'm Forever Yours.

XOXOXOXOX,
Eloise

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice trophy sam!

You guys been watching idol?

wowsa on this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_NhisWuq9o

- Ben