Friday, October 16, 2015

Lesson 383: Back in Time


Good evening, Readers.
Eloise is back.


Last week I was sporting the dark circles of fatigue.


A couple of naps 
and a whole lot of teamwork from my family
has Old Eloise rested and ready for the weekend.
I am feeling much better.

This week we will turn this virtual scrapbook back a few pages--
to 1985.

Here is Eloise and sister Kenyan circa that time.


That's me as an 8th grader.
The closest I could find was another collection from my mom's meticulously dated photo album.
I'm posting these from 1984 one because a few of my blog readers will see themselves.



We're traveling back in time with Marty McFly.
It's Back to the Future Week!

\
I loved the movie as a teen,
and it marked the beginning of my fascination with time travel.

If you've forgotten the movie, 
here's the original movie trailer from 1985:



Michael J Fox played Marty McFly.
He left the future--October 21, 2015
to arrive in the past--1985.

On Wednesday, we finally reached the long awaited 10-21-2015 date.
The future is now!


Marty McFly and Doc,
with the help of Doc's flux capacitor,
make the trip possible.



Everyone fell in love with Marty's shoes from the future,



as well as his hover board


Nike did develop the shoes for a special project.
Nice work, Nike!


One of the strangest coincidences regarding all the movie hype
is the rise of the Chicago Cubs.

They beat our home-state heroes, the Pittsburgh Pirates
and won the National League Wild Card game.

You can read about the uncanny coincidence here:
If you don't have time to read the full article, ESPN writer Tom Neumann summarizes, "In "Back to the Future Part II," the character Terry, played by Charles Fleischer, tells McFly that he wishes he could go back in time and bet on the Cubs to win the World Series at 100-to-1 odds."
Here is the movie clip for those of you who like a visual:


Crazy, huh?
Eloise is a Cubs fan for the rest of the season.
Wouldn't that be something?

I suppose this movie has a lot to do with why I love time travel--

from the real Stephen Hawking


Time travel used to be thought of as just science fiction, but Einstein's general theory of relativity allows for the possibility that we could warp space-time so much that you could go off in a rocket and return before you set out. - Stephen Hawking

to the fictional Eloise Hawking



And I guess it's also why I have a thing for orange vests.


I broke mine out the other night.  
It's hunting season!

I even have a new friend to whom I gave the nickname Doc. 

He is still running workouts outside,
despite the predictably unpredictable, Erie fall weather.
Here is Bonnie,
the latest person I convinced that exercising outside, year-round,
was the way to go.


Now that the weather is turning sour outside,



The Lamp Post dwellers will be heading to inside arenas soon.


We still have some good fall weather left,
and in the next couple of weekends you'll spot Eloise and clan
on her first virtual run.
I signed up for the Zombies Run! virtual 5K.
I get to pick my date and distance,
and earn points for my game and supplies for my base!
Who is coming with me?
I cannot wait to see what is in the secret red envelope I receive when I finish.


For now, I'll be practicing with my race towel I received with the sign up.
All things except the torch, of course. 
I want to keep this useful item around the Lamp Post.


It's time to introduce my children to Marty McFly.
We are going to watch Back to the Future tonight, so I am signing off early to travel back in time.

Before I end,
here is a photo that reminds me of my childhood and hay rides.




Future?
Past?
Now?
What matters the most?

I vote for Now.

there is no time like present:

Surround yourself with the things you love,
and you'll find that you have everything you need.



For a look at the unedited photos of the week
(Eloise was resting, remember?)
enjoy the video set to a Back to the Future soundtrack tune from 1985--
Back in Time by Huey Lewis and the News.

ELOISE

No comments: