Friday, September 21, 2018

Lesson 555: The Road to Happiness


Hello, Readers.
Eloise here,
writing from Happy Street.


We are celebrating daughter Ellen Louise's 
18 years of life this weekend.



Daughter #2 popped into the world on 
September 22, 2000.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing, tree, outdoor and text

She was a Y2K baby.
Can you recall what that was?


Born exactly on her due date,
at 11:11 pm,
she came into this world on the day we wished it--
cousin Ben's 20th birthday.
My in-laws could then say
their oldest and youngest grandchildren were exactly 20 years apart.


As Ellen enters adulthood, 
Mother Eloise contemplated the advice I'd give her.
I first asked myself the question,
What do I want for my daughter?


I think my answer is similar to most:
I want her to be happy.


So, how do you get to happy, Ellen Louise?
There are no maps to the endpoint,
because the endpoint does not exist.

Don't think of Happy as a destination you reach,

Image may contain: 1 person, standing, sky, cloud, ocean, outdoor, water and nature

think of it as an enjoyable journey.

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing, ocean, sky, outdoor and nature

Happiness (definition): the joy that we feel striving for our potential.

Happiness is built,
and I hope you thoroughly enjoy laying the bricks 
along your yellow brick road.

I know what makes you happy.
I have visual proof
because I surfed your pin boards on Pinterest.
Pinterest pin boards tell stories of their own.

Happy little girls 
with red head scarves 
near camels make you happy.


You've learned the words 
encourage





and courage
mean a whole lot.


You know happiness is built 
from not missing the moments.
Always be present to capture them.


Nothing builds a happy life like serving others with 
the gifts God gave you.



You have chosen a perfect path of study.
Speech Pathology suits you well.


Happiness comes from loving animals.
Even elephants.




The Road to Happiness truly is a no end destination,
so enjoy the journey.
I hope your ride is at least a century long.

This book is going to appear on your bedside table soon.
The Road to Character is a path to follow, too.

Image result for The Road to Character

If you aren't up for reading,
then I encourage you to check out 
Oprah's Super Soul Sunday podcast with Shawn Anchor.

He teaches Positive Psychology at Harvard
and I find his work fascinating.

Possibilities.....Opportunities...

Weekend homework in honor of Ellen's birthday for EVERYONE,
not just Ellen:

Check out Shawn Anchor's 12 minute TED Talk.
It is clever and funny and fast paced.
It's happiness in a nutshell.


What better a song to choose for your 18th birthday video
than The Road to Happiness
by Cam.

Happy birthday, dear sweet Ellen Louise.
Enjoy the journey.

Mother Eloise

No comments: