Friday, May 13, 2022

Lesson 745: May

 Hello, Readers.


We're in the pretty time of year here in Erie--
after Mother's Day
and before the end of the school year.
The colors of the earth are so fresh and pretty!









The baby leaves are now ready for elementary school,


growing full and fast every day.


My kids spoiled me on Mother's Day with many treats
including this herb garden from Stan's Garden Center.


I got some of the flowers that hang vertically on porch posts.
There are always many baskets available,
but these are hard to find sometimes.
Check them out if you are a local
and drive by.


Just beyond the porch flowers you will find Mother Bird.


Isn't she beautiful?
I hope that wasn't her dumb husband 
flying into my door for three straight weeks.


I found the pond turtle on Mother's Day.  
She was sunning herself with her one...


two...three babies!


Cherish the days, Momma!
How quickly they grow.  

I was reminded of that as I looked into the outfield
behind the Lamp Post
and saw a Coach Pitch game going on.


The rest of the week was all baseball.
Three away games this week--
two hikes to Corry and Meadville,
and a long walk across 38th Street to McDowell.


Sometimes you can play baseball 
in the picture perfect conditions
and things don't go your way.



Playing under the lights 
against this May sunset
was worth it,
win or lose.
(But it would have seemed even prettier had we won).


I had a nice angle at McDowell from the hill.
Once in a blue moon 
I get a photo that actually
catches the ball being thrown.
It happened three times on one night!

Sam


Jake


and Troy!


Maybe I should say
"once in a blue sky
where the moon shows white."


Yes, that's more like it.

Speaking of blue skies,
I've been taking advantage of the nice weather
and got my students outside for lessons a few times this week.
The bigger the brain space,
the bigger the ideas,.

Here are some Clark kiddos with the aquapods.




You know the party is getting started 
when the Behrend Chemistry Club
rolls into school with a cooler full of dry ice.






Speaking of Chemistry--
This was my Book of the Month Club selection,
It's cute and just what I need to read right now.


I read my classes
The Faithful Elephants this week,
which is the saddest true story of zoo animals
in Tokyo during WW2.


Summer is upon us,
and with a 15 year old boy around,
I feel like we need to reinstitute 
The Summer Rules.
Eloise is working on Rules 2022 now!

One rule is summer reading--
even just a few minutes a day is important.

I got these two books for Sam to read.
If you have a non-reading-for-pleasure teen,
go with biographies.


I'm reading these now and they 
are as excellent as Cal himself.


I picked up this one for Ellen.


Natalie got this one.
She loves to cook
and Ree's recipes all have step by step directions
with photos.


Ellen can't be found for photos this week
because she is neck deep in her room,
wallowing in her move home from college dump
onto her bedroom floor.

The night is so nice and warm
I think I'm going to take advantage of it
and sit outside for a bit.
The Lamp Post light is on.
Look for Eloise 'neath the light of it.

Eloise

























No comments: