Friday, October 14, 2022

Lesson 760: Fear Facing

 Hello, Readers.

I'm writing to you for the 760th time,

under the fading light of day.


I love the fall, 
but really hate to say goodbye to the evening daylight.

I'm a person who thrives

under the bright, yellow sun.



My light was dimmed last weekend
as I had a completely stupid accident 
with my favorite van.
It's better for your brain to wonder and guess,
so I'll spare you the details,
but give you a clue.
Look for a giant, bright yellow, cement post
near the pedestrian crosswalk in the Walmart parking lot.
Then you can try to figure out
how I managed to do it 
when I was at a complete stop
20 feet from it.

This actually my second worst whoops with a vehicle.
Holding the #1 spot on 
Eloise's List of Mishaps
was when I accidentally drove through the garage wall.

It's a mystery only my alter ego,
Fionnula Flannigan could understand.
Not sure who Finnoula is?
Look up Eloise Hawking 
from LOST,
and some really old blog posts of mine,
and the researchers among you may have your answers.


Both Fionnula and I love trees!
This is my favorite one.


I've been taking photos of it all year
hoping to recreate a photo series like this.


I also love this drawing that I shared with my students this week.
It is found in the Life is Good book 
by Bert and John Jacobs.
Having a optimistic attitude 
is one of the best practices for students.



I am guessing the fall colors are at their peak in Erie.


Soak it all in before the fall 
winds
and rains
blow in 
and 
knock 
them
all 
down.


The squirrels feel it,
but they aren't afraid.
They recognize the fall 
as a natural part of the cycle of life.
They are readying for winter gathering nuts.


Hazel is not impressed.


Penny's not quite sure 
what is going on,


but she'll keep her eye on Hazel and look for clues.
She's not afraid.


The Huskies are playing Away
but it feels like Home.
The first Rumble on Route 20 takes place tonight
and we'll be heading out to see the 
much anticipated match-up.


I wish I would have remembered to ask #51
if I could post the video of him from last weekend.
Sam faced his fears and went to 
this with his friends:



If we lived in Oz,
Sam would be the lion.
He has a strong stature 
and fearsome growl,
but he's a big softie.


Because it's the season to be spooky


it was time for Sam to face his fears.
He was chased down by a pig with a chainsaw,
and his friends will have laughs about that for a lifetime.

The best part was returning home,
banging in the door,
jacked on adrenaline,
announcing to the sleeping household
how much fun he had.

This is the important lesson of the weekend.
It's about fears and having the bravery to face them.

This morning,
The Daily from the New York Times,
one of my very favorite podcasts,
posted this episode for kids:

A Special Episode for Kids: The Fear FacerThe Daily

    • Daily News

Nine-year-old Ella was terrified of tornadoes and getting sick. So she did something that was even scarier than her fears: confront them. Guests: Ella Maners and her mother, Katie Maners, and Julia Longoria, a producer for “The Daily.” For more information on today’s episode, visit nytimes.com/thedaily.


Ella spent a week at Fear Facers Summer Camp, a day camp in Florida that helps children learn to deal with obsessive-compulsive and anxiety disorders.

Nine year old Ella was interviewed
and she did a fabulous job
talking about her OCD.
If you have a child with fears,
OCD,
or have limiting fears yourself,
give this a listen for your weekend homework.


If Ghost Lake Multiverse
and pigs with chainsaws aren't 
your cup of tea,
you have this nice option available
in the Harborcreek Community Park.


I'll be watching Hocus Pocus 2 this weekend,
NOT Dahmer.

For your final chuckle about facing fears--
Ellen Louise,
my very studious
 and well educated college daughter.
was talking about Dahmer and deciding whether she would
watch the Netfilx series 
about the nations most disturbing serial killer.

She asked if he was the guy from Erie
that was killed on upper Peach Street with the collar thing.
No, Ellen, dear.....
that was the Pizza Bomber.
Both tragedies,
but not the same thing.

Eloise

No comments: