Friday, August 4, 2023

Lesson 805: Lee of the Stone

Hello, Readers.
It's your favorite white-fingered blogger!


That's the color "creamy" of the Sherwin Williams paint
I've been making messes with for three days.
Lucky for me,
I have someone who loves to paint!


I didn't get a lot of book-reading time this week
as I've been creating a stiff neck and shoulder
while inhaling paint fumes.

I did listen to two complete audio books,
nine hours each!

Matthew Perry's


and Elizabeth Smart's stories
were both narrated by them,
and they made the tales even more unbelievable--
yet true.


While painting my bedroom,
I looked out the window to see this:


It's Farmer Neighbor mowing his field.
The meadow north of the little creek is kept natural
but mowed once or twice a year.
South of the creek lies the Six Mile vineyard.

When Farmer Neighbor mows,
it always reminds me of my favorite childhood book.

If you had Tim Miller for a teacher at Clark Elementary School,
this was most likely your favorite, too.
He had a way of storytelling 
that made plots and characters come alive,
never to be forgotten.

Mrs. Frisby was a widowed mouse,
with a love for her family
and fierce determination.




It was time for Farmer Fitzgibbons to 
mow the field where she lived
 and she and her children would be killed by the plow.

Mrs. Frisby sought the advice of the wise old owl.
He advised moving her nest to the lee of the stone.
She would need the help of the Rats of NIMH.


Here's a quick, on-line explanation,
far better than I can come up with quickly:

The Lee of The Stone is the space right behind - and, as such, protected by - a large stone that protrudes from the ground and arches over the cinderblock home in which the Frisby family resides. Because of its size and specific position, it shields their home by being an obstacle in the path of the plow. The placement of the house in The Lee of The Stone protects their home when the farmer plows the field and drives over or crushes other animal dens leaving them homeless or injured. By following the Great Owl's advice to move her house to The Lee of The Stone, with the help of the Rats Mrs. Frisby saved the lives of her children and kept her home from destruction.



The very same day,
I pulled this quote card from my How to Be a Wildflower
card deck.


I pull one each morning to admire and reflect upon.


I close my eyes and pull out the little drawer


and see what surprise awaits!
Eloise loves surprises.
(Nice ones, NOT jump scares).

There is a quote on one side


and a drawing on the other.


The reverse side of the Irish Proverb
It is in the shelter of each other that people live,
was this drawing:


It reminded me of the red house I grew up in,
just a stone's throw from the Lamp Post.

When I used to conjure up mental images of my childhood home,
I pictured it from the front view
of the rectangular, two-story colonial.
Now, I always see it from its side!
This is how it now looks in my mind's-eye.


Grandma will be in the lee of the stone next week,
as we all help her pass the time while she heals from eye surgery.
The surgery itself claims a 99% success rate,
IF....
she keeps her head in a downward facing position,
including sleeping,
for ten days.

She will be able the hear all the activity
going on in the Community Park.
Little Gridders football whistles are blowing


and there are plenty of repetitive cheers!


Sam has been getting his football gear ready--
a pack of headbands 
and a new mouth guard.
That's sort of a poorly placed 
Under Armor symbol.
Glad Grandma can't see it.


We'll keep Grandma safe and comfy
in the lee of the Lamp Post.

Meanwhile,
in the crook of a tree 
was this baby bird!


He was last to leave the nest
and not happy at all about it.


He took his unwilling jump anyway.


Summer is busy,
so time for a nap!
We model our nap taking from Penny.

This is where I found her
right after I washed all the bedding
and newly made the bed.


And because dogs are so important to us,
please join us in wishing Hazel
a happy 5th birthday!

Penny gave her a birthday kiss,


then a nuzzle,


and a birthday ear chomp.


That's how it ended.



Have a great weekend!

Eloise












 

No comments: