Friday, February 2, 2024

Lesson 832: Phenology

Hello, Readers.

The Groundhog predicted an early spring today!

We are not at all surprised 

because of the mildness of the winter.

It's been a warm Phebruary.

Warm winters bring phog.


Eloise loves phog photography!


I also like words that have the "f" sound.

There is such a softness to it.

I have a particular phondness for words 
that start with the "f " sound and use the "ph."
I have the ancient Greeks to thank for that
phrom what I gather.

The new "ph" word I learned this week
was completely new for me--
never heard of Phenology before.

Here's a defintion:

What is Phenology?

The word phenology has two parts—pheno (appearance) + logos (study)—the study of plants and animals through seasonal changes.

We see it in everything from budding, flowering, and fruiting, to breeding, nesting, and migration.

By paying attention and recording your observations (see checklist below) you can not only become a more proficient gardener but assist with national volunteer projects that collect this information to give us a better understanding of nature and climate change.

Here's a YouTube:


Here's a TedEd on the subject:


Here are some creative projects to note your
nature observations.

Watercolor



Embroidery


Eloise give the highest praise!
I've already started the process for one of my own.

It's soup season!


Every weekend I make a new recipe
and serve it along with a loaf of homemade sourdough.


I finally mastered my starter.  
It took me nearly a month to get the hang of it.

Natalie and I were inspired by this artwork.

We are giving the wildlife 
something to look forward to
through the rest of the winter--
no matter when Punxatawney Phil
says that it ends.


I'm looking forward to spring
when I look at these lovely phlowers on my counter!
It feels so good to look at blooms of pink and yellow.


I found my dream greenhouse while scrolling 
this week.
After tending my plants
I'd work on my phenology wheel.
I think this is just perfect!

Let's end this blog with my phavorite of the week:

Second grade boy gives his classmate a pep talk.

To watch the heartwarming exchange, CLICK HERE

Goodnight my phriends,

see you next Phriday night.

Eloise

No comments: