Friday, December 15, 2017

Lesson 512: Midnight Clear

Ten days, Readers!
That's all we have until Christmas 2017!


The Lamp Post is under snowy conditions during this holiday season.


After a long day of trying to refocus children,
and evenings of holiday hustle and bustle,
my mile walks have become sacred.


Most days I'm walking in the dark,
taking advantage of the well lit parking lot of 6 Mile Cellars.

Image may contain: night, sky and outdoor

With every new snowfall,
it's like a blank canvas awaiting my boots.

Image may contain: night and outdoor

I play Christmas songs while I walk.
My favorite of the season is this one.


It's a poem composed by Edmund Sears in 1849.
He was a pastor of the Unitarian Church in Massachusetts.
Historians believe he wrote it in response to the solemn times
just after the Mexican-American War ended.

The original third verse of the poem was omitted 
from Methodist and Lutheran hymnals 
as thought to be too political.

At the end of the blog is the Daryl Hall and John Oates version from 2010.

Hall and Oates sing the first verse and the original third verse. 

I've interspersed the third verse between my photos of the week.
I recommend scrolling down and playing the song,
then looking at the words and listening to the song together.
It will have a bigger impact on you.

It Came Upon A Midnight Clear

In elementary school,
we call this The Listening Center.
Almost every classroom has one!

Enjoy the music and the snowy photos.


With all these times of sin and strife


the world has suffered too long


Beneath the angel voices have rolled


two thousand years of wrong


And men at war with men can't hear


the love songs that they bring


So stop your noise of you men of war


and hear the angels sing.

Christmas graphics

Wishing all my Readers a Midnight Clear.
Eloise
X0X0


No comments: