Friday, June 29, 2012

Lesson 159: More Than Meets the Eye

It's funny what catches one's eye.  What may grab the attention of one person, another completely misses.  I got two anonymous comments about a photo I had on a recent blog.  Perhaps more of you noticed, and wondered about it.  Here it is:



No one asked about the age of the old horseshoe.  No one questioned why a Rolling Rock bottle was sitting up in the Lamp Post (I use it as a vase for my daisies, really). Two people asked about the doughnut.  That little white, round thing on the lower left side of the shot.  Eloise didn't indulge in a sugary treat to boost her creativity though.  It's a rock.

No, Kenyan.  It is not a petrified doughnut hole.  Those are in your house under Erik's bed.  You're the faster one.  I'm the neater one.  It really is a rock.  It's my favorite kind, too---the raw geode.

On the outside, the geode looks just like an ordinary, boring old rock.  This one does look like a powered sugar doughnut, Kenyan.  I'll give you that.  Just don't bite on it in a carb binge after a race or you'll crack your pretty teeth.  When you smash them open, usually with a hammer, they look like this:

 

I keep a few around the Lamp Post to remind myself that people are always more than meets the eye.  Someone may have a rough exterior, but when you crack through it, the inside is beautiful and sparkly.

This weekend's lesson is short and simple.  People are always more than meets the eye.  Take the time to dig a little deeper and get to know someone, otherwise you may never discover the beauty inside.

Take a look at the video in the post below.  Scroll down to Lesson 159:  Jonathan and Charlotte.  The story of this teenaged, Hurley look alike and his friend Charlotte goes along perfectly with this lesson.  The video is 7:31 seconds long, and I have assigned you to watch it in its entirety.  Therefore I'll keep today's reading part short.  It's all about balance, you know.

Hope your hearts are warmed all the way to Slovenia and back.
Eloise



No comments: