Friday, October 2, 2020

Lesson 665: (E)Eriely Familiar

It was a dark and stormy night.

Do you know what novel that comes from, Readers?

When times got tense, Snoopy turned to his typewriter,

to begin his great American novel.

Time,


and time,


and time again.


The source of this line was really the 1963
Newbery Prize winning work of children's fiction,
A Wrinkle in Time.


The skies are signaling the calendar pages
have turned to October.
This eerie moon glowed brightly 
over the fruitful Erie County vineyard this week.

 

The orange kissed trees accented the Huskie helmets nicely.


There is a sky I watch for in the October evenings,
and I caught it tonight!
Blackened  storm clouds
meet a breakthrough of setting sun.


The mix of fall fury and beauty is eerily familiar.



There is a comfort I feel every October.
A relief of some sort as the skies cloud

the branches gradually bare,


and the wildflowers stand out 
against the withering meadow grasses.


The grasses are an evening walk favorite
of Hazel and her new friend Penny.


Penny is enjoying Sam's evening kicking practice.




Hubby is tired of retrieving balls.
Maybe Penny will take over the task.
We believe she is part retriever.


We took the dogs to the lake shore.
It was Penny's first trip to cottage.


I found an article about the Great Lakes in a recent National Geographic.
It's my favorite magazine.


The article was in the September 2020 robot issue
about halfway through it.
I almost missed it,


and this eerie photograph of Erie's own...




Strangely,
about a month ago,
a neighbor at our camp 
brought over an old National Geographic for me to read.


Our neighbors saved the publication
because it contained an article about eastern rattlesnakes.
A den of rattlers was found about four miles from our cabin.



After I finished the very informative piece,
I leafed through the rest 
to remember what my hubby's graduation year was like,
and me, just sixteen.

The very next article was about halfway back.
I almost missed it.


A warning for the Great Lakes in 1987.





Eeriely familar.


Eloise





































No comments: