Saturday, March 9, 2013

Lesson 218: 365,242 Days


Another Friday night?  
It's been 10, 080 hours since we've last connected.
Where did this week go?


It's been a good week at the Lamp Post.  We've ended the first week of March and as you can see, we still have snow on the ground.  The north coasters are hoping for a break in the weather this weekend.


I turned this number last weekend.


I did the math and figured out it's going to be a good year.


Heck, he was our 42nd President.  That's an omen.



Good things are happening at the Lamp Post.  Eloise is full of hope for her 42nd year and as a result, momentum is building.  I've made a promise to myself to stay fit and healthy this year, well beyond when the typical New Year's Resolutions run dry.  In order for me to ensure goal success, I need some help along the way.  I reached out to like minded blog readers to take part in my fun fitness challenges/rock hunts.  People are finding my rocks, furrowed away in Altoid Mint tins in our local parks.  

One of my prize students was first to find The Sherpa tin. 
There are many more--go get 'em.  See blog 217 for clues.


My girlfriends snagged Rocky on a recent run.


On Monday, I was surprised to see this envelope in my mailbox with really cool penmanship.


I didn't recognize the writing, nor the return address.
Who did I know in Boulder, Colorado?


I got a card from this little guy and his mom, only known to me as Jessy from the Foothills.
She seems to also have a thing for photographing faces in mirrors.


Jessy from the Foothills stumbled upon Eloise at the Lamp Post on a routine image search for Cindy Lou Who.  My blog popped up on the search engine.  Jessy happened upon the blog post when I encouraged my readers to send me a Christmas card because I like to get mail.  I listed my home address.  Jessy from the Foothills stated in her equally cool cursive that my blog "spoke to her."  How neat is that?  My words connecting with another human being, somewhere in the foothills of Colorado.  The Thrill of the Week, indeed.  What a gift.



Speaking of gifts, I got lots of them.  Thank you everyone.
A few of these showed up on my facebook wall.

Photo: Happy birthday Eloise Hawking!

The best gift wrapping goes to my Mom.



I got some new running shoes.  Because I wear size Giant, I have little choice in color when Achilles Running Shop orders me a new pair of Mizuno Wave Inspires every six months.  I've named this pair "Smurf Shoes."


A girl can never have too much bling,


or reminders of who to give thanks to for my very many blessings.


I've made travel a goal for myself, so my brave friend sent me gifts of encouragement---
 straight from Ecuador,


and the Eiffel tower.


My Sis came to breakfast with me, and my nephew photo bombed my picture.


It's never a complete birthday unless I get a book.
Tracy Southern came through.  


Tracy Southern and I met in Mrs. Bell's PM Kindergarten class in 1976.  We've been friends ever since.  Both early readers, we were always assigned to the same reading group as kids.  We've continued to read recommend books to one another throughout out adulthood.

Tracy Southern encouraged me to take part in her fun and read the Twilight series.  I jumped aboard that Bat Mobile and read them all last spring and summer. It is because of the Cd's she sent me in my birthday package (the entire Twilight CD collection from all 5 movies) that I found the song for my pictures.  See the video posted at the bottom of this blog for more Lamp Post snapshots of the week.  I'll love her for A Thousand Years for introducing me to Christina Perri.  Great tune.

Eloise, in turn, taught her friend the importance of reading biographies.  I didn't come up with this all on my own though.  I was an idea I stole from Jones from The Noticer.
In the book, which is really Andy Andrews personal life story, Jones an intuitive drifter befriends Andy at a difficult time in his life.  Jones helps Andy improve his life by reading biographies of great people.  Writes Andrews:  "Other people's experience is the best teacher.  By reading about the lives of great people, you can unlock the secrets to what made them great," (p.9).   In keeping with Jones's tradition, Eloise recommends the biographies or writings of  Jimmy Carter, Helen Keller, Ben Franklin, and Walter Cronkite for starters.

As promised, I'll comment more on one of the biggest little books you'll ever read.  A great gift for the high school graduate to the retiree.  Chapter 3 stood out in the book.  In it, Andrews had an interesting way of categorizing people.  Jones gives the reader a unique perspective of viewing relationships and how love is received and expressed.  Read on and see if you can determine which one you are most like.

Are you a cat?


  • This type of person shows and receives love by PHYSICAL CONTACT.  
  • From the kiss to the pat on the back, love involves touching.
  • Cats are exclusively creatures of physical contact. 
  • When a cat wants attention it rubs up against your legs, letting you know he wants scratched.
  • Cats are loners, you really don't have to feed them.  If they are hungry, they will go out and kill something on their own to eat.
  • Cats don't pay much attention to what you say or do.  You really can't "call" a cat like you can a dog.
Speaking of dogs.....
Are you a puppy?





  • These people show and express love by spoken words of approval.
  • If you enjoy praise and playful attention you most likely are a puppy.
  • When you praise a dog by saying "Good Dog!" its whole body wags.
  • However, harsh words said to a dog can be devastating.  


Could you sing like a canary?





  • This is a person who wants quality time spent with someone.
  • A canary says, "Just be with me!  Listen to my song!"
  • The canary really never notices the details about who gives it food or water.
  • It doesn't need to be touched or patted.
  • The canary is happiest when you sit and listen to its song.
  • A canary that is ignored will die, not necessarily from lack of food, but from being ignored.

Or are you this lovely goldfish?



  • This type of person feels and expresses love by favors and deeds.
  • They like it when people do things for them or give them things.
  • Goldfish don't need to be petted or talked to or held.
  • They are content to swim around in their bowls all day and are happiest when you keep the water clean and give them food to eat.  And oh yeah, straighten the castle while you're in there, too.
These dialects of love and affection, so says Jones, aren't just for married couples to make use of.  When you get good at spotting them in people it can help you communicate better with your kids, your friends, and your coworkers.  Take notice readers!  Maybe this advice will be of help to you.


Eloise is a teacher but also a good student.  I too, have followed Jones's advice and have looked at my relationships from the perspective of how a person gives and receives love.  A good writer doesn't give too much away.  He or she always wants to leave the reader guessing.  So what is Eloise?  If you have a good memory, I stated what I was last week.  What are Eloise's relationships like?

Here's a good visual for you.  
Does this give you some idea of what goes on inside the Lamp Post?

Chapter 3 was good, but Chapter 5 offers some other great advice.  Some young adults ask Jones about how to know if they have chosen the right person to marry.  We have two weddings in May, so this chapter is very timely.  Jones gives some very wise advice that I will share it with you next week.  Go ahead and review that chapter if you did get the book.

Tonight I offer you 365,242 days of thanks for visiting the Lamp Post.  That's 1,000 years worth.

Enjoy the song and the pictures.
Eloise

No comments: